For heavy-duty jobs, a gas pressure washer is your best pick. Learn what brands and models made it to our list of the best gas pressure washer.
Do you have an electric pressure washer but still need a gas pressure washer for tougher cleaning jobs? Yes? Then, this article is for you!
After reading this content, you will learn 3 things:
- The best gas pressure washer that is suitable for your unique needs;
- The best gas pressure washer brands to buy; and
- The important things to look for when using a gas pressure washer.
Buying the wrong gas pressure washer model is a common dilemma of most people. This is why we highly encourage you to read reviews, forums, and threads to properly decide the best pressure washer model you should buy. Once you have the best gas pressure washer of your dreams, you will realize the many benefits of using this power tool. Such benefits include: saving time and effort, as well as thorough cleaning.
To help you out further, we even rake through the internet to give you a list of the 7 best gas pressure washers that are great value for the money.
- 7 Best Gas Pressure Washer (Quick Look)
- Looking For The Best Gas Pressure Washer
- The Best Gas Power Cleaner Brands
- Gas Pressure Washer: Power and Price
- Gas Pressure Washer Warranty Policy
- Medium-duty Gas Pressure Washer Reviews
- Heavy-duty Gas Pressure Washer Reviews
- Commercial Gas Pressure Washer Reviews
- FAQ About Gas Pressure Washer
- Get To Know Our Top Pick!
7 Best Gas Pressure Washer (Quick Look)
Looking For The Best Gas Pressure Washer
1. Cleaning Power And Engine Size
Unlike in cars in which the power is determined by how much horsepower its engine is able to produce, refers to the maximum cleaning power of the unit.
To simply put, a gas pressure washers power is expressed in CUs or cleaning power units. To get the total CUs of the gas pressure washer, refer to the formula below:
Cleaning Power (CUs) = Maximum Water Pressure (PSI) x Flow Rate (GPM)
- PSI = pounds per square inch
- GPM = gallon per minute
On the other hand, the engine size of the gas pressure washer is measured in cubic centimeters or cc, which refers to the total volume of the engine’s combustion chamber. The higher the cc, the more powerful the engine is.
So, what exactly is the connection between the cleaning power and its engine size? You see, the higher the engine’s cc, the higher the amount of pressure it can produce or the higher the PSI of the machine.
The bottom line is that you should check both the PSI and GPM of the gas pressure washer to be able to calculate its maximum cleaning power. An example of this scenario is when 2 units have the same cleaning power but have different PSI and GPM.
Unit 1: 3200 psi x 5.0 = 16,000 CUs
Unit 2: 4000 psi x 4.0 = 16,000 CUs
2. Recoil Starter vs. Electric Starter
Gas pressure washer with small to medium-sized combustion engines can have either an electric starter or recoil starter (pull-string). But for gas pressure washers with an exceptionally bigger engine, it is safer to opt for ones with an electric starter. Gas pressure washers with an electric starter let you turn on the tool with just a mere push of a button. However, please do note that electric starters are more expensive.
3. Hot Water Vs Cold Water Pressure Washer
Recently, gas pressure washers for hot water are gaining the interest of many. This is because as compared to the gas pressure washer for cold water, the hot water gas pressure washers have boilers or heaters in them.
What’s the big deal about having a boiler or heater in your pressure washer you may ask? Well, why do you think your dishwasher uses hot water when cleaning your kitchen utensils? The same principle is actually applied in hot water gas pressure washer.
The boiler helps to heat up the water temperature for up to 50 degree Celsius. Once the water is heated, it will be easier to break down stubborn stains and grimes. Thus, you can complete the cleaning tasks in less time and with minimal effort (just like when using your dishwasher).
4. Carriage Frame Construction
The carriage frame construction will help you move and transport the unit with ease. This is particularly important if you plan on using bigger units. A big and compact gas pressure washer needs a wheelbarrow-like stance. This will give more room for the machine’s engine and pump. Also, the frame has to be made of steel and is welded securely. Lastly, the frame should allow easy installation of the anti-vibration mount.
5. All-Terrain Tire Toughness
Checking the toughness of a gas pressure washer tires is a bit challenging since most modern manufacturers no longer indicate the degree of toughness of the tires.
One easy way to make sure your gas pressure washer can survive all types of terrain is to get a pressure washer unit with heavy-duty pneumatic tires. These type of tires gives better traction on the surface the machine is travelled over, thus less bumping and shaking.
6. Storage Of Gasoline
At first thought, you wouldn’t really think storage is an important thing to consider, right? However, you’ll be thanking yourself for knowing how to properly store your pressure washer gasoline once the winter season strikes.
During winter, the leftover gasoline in the gas pressure washer tank can harden and cause problems to the combustion chamber of the engine. This is when starting the gas pressure washer becomes difficult, or worse, the machine has to be repaired or replaced.
Tip: Check out articles or watch videos on how to winterize pressure washer to prevent your pressure washer from deteriorating:
7. Direct drive Pump vs. Belt drive Pump
A common question about gas pressure washer is about belt drive pump vs. direct drive pump. Both varieties have their own pros and cons. If you’re not sure which one to get and is often confused about the two, then this section is dedicated to helping you out.
Direct Drive Pump
- ✔ has a hollow shaft, thus design-wise
- ✔ average speed is at 3,450 RPM
- ✔ pump RPM = engine RPM
- ✔ more affordable
- ✔ has a compact design
- ✔ has fewer moving parts
- ✖ bearings and other parts wear and tear easily
- ✖ has a shorter pump lifespan
- ✖ higher engine vibration
- ✖ prone to overheating of the pump
Belt Drive Pump
- ✔ turns the pump at a lower RPM (revolutions per minute)
- ✔ runs at a lower temperature
- ✔ lowers the risks of overheating even with a longer period of use
- longer pump life
- ✔ perfect for heavy-duty and frequently used pressure washers
- ✖ has a pulley (pulley system), making it bulky
- ✖ needs more space to accommodate the belt/s that are attached to a pulley on the engine
The Best Gas Power Cleaner Brands
A quick search on Google and you’ll know that Simpson is a popular brand of gas pressure washers. Simpson gas pressure washers are made powerful yet affordable. Because of the brand’s increasing reliability, they were able to close a deal with The Black & Decker Corp (owner of DeWalt in 2009. In this deal, Simpson agreed to manufacture and sell their pressure washers under the DeWalt name. So, yes! Simpson and Dewalt pressure washers pretty have much the same quality.
What started out as producing residential power equipment gave way to creating to one of the most reliable and powerful gas pressure washers in the market. Generac ranked high in pressure washer brand ranking simply because they make all their own engines, as well as the gas pressure washer accessories.
3. Briggs & Stratton
Briggs & Stratton gas pressure washers are known for their sustainability. The brand puts emphasis on protecting the planet and business excellence. The latest pride of the brand is their eco-friendly electric pressure washers. Nevertheless, their gas power cleaners are rated as one of the best in the market.
Because of their continuous innovations, WEN has garnered the approval of many pressure washer users. They have gas pressure washers for driveway, for deck, for cars, and for other home use. WEN gas pressure washers are available in 2800 psi and higher.
Unknown to many, PowerBoss is a top manufacturer of industrial cleaning machines, including gas pressure washers. Although generators and sweepers are the brand’s best-selling items, the well-thought designs of their pressure washer lines didn’t go unnoticed. Their popular units include 2800 psi, 3000 psi, and the 3300 psi.
DeWalt is a trusted brand when it comes to power tools and other machines. What’s even better is that the brand makes sure to also offer accessories needed for their units. These include nozzle tips, surface cleaners, turbo spray nozzle, and pressure washer guns. DeWalt is also popular for offering direct drive pressure washer products.
Gas Pressure Washer: Power and Price
What To Expect From Units BELOW $300
Don’t expect to have a lot of options when your budget is less than $300. From our most-trusted brand list, you can see more units from the Generac Brand with this budget. More or less, scoring a brand new medium-duty gas pressure washer below $300 is already a good purchase.
What To Expect From Units With $300- $500 Price
With this budget range, you can take your pick from some of the popular brands of gas power washers such as Briggs & Stratton and Generac. But don’t expect to get a heavy-duty nor a commercial unit. What you can expect are gas pressure washers with 2 times or 3 times more power than the average electric pressure washers.
What To Expect From Units Above $500
If your budget allows you to spend more cash for a gas pressure washer, then you’ll have more and better options. Usually, a gas pressure washer with a price tag of $500 or above has a powerful cleaning capacity and is often used for commercial purposes. You can also expect to have units with 3900 psi, 4000 psi, or more.
For a budget above $1000, you’ll even have more add-ons and accessories at your disposal. Think of premium triplex plunger pump, higher combustion chambers, and advanced safety features like thermal pump protection, and more.
The Simpson Cleaning PS3835 and Briggs & Stratton 2100 Series 4000 MAX PSI are two examples that belong to this category.
Gas Pressure Washer Warranty Policy
Gas pressure warranty is equally important as choosing the gas pressure washer brand. This is why you’ll benefit the most if you buy from reputable brands since these brands already developed a warranty policy that is tested and proven by many.
Most gas pressure washer engines are being offered with at least 2-year warranty. However, please take note that most power tool warranties are limited, depending on the specific policies of the brand in question.
Other accessories included in the package like hose, nozzles, and pressure washer wands usually have 90-days return or replacement policy.
NOTE: Limited Warranty means the company will only honor the warranty if it is proven that the cause of the defect or damage is from poor workmanship, materials, or manufacturing of the product.
Medium-duty Gas Pressure Washer Reviews
1. PowerBoss 3100 PSI
Who would have thought that this gas pressure washer would come from the brand PowerBoss? Boasting a water pressure of 3100 psi at a slightly higher flower rate of 2.7 gpm, PowerBoss 3100 PSI is a good choice for homeowners who frequently use a pressure washer at least once a week.
What we love about it:
- This makes use of HONDA engine, specifically the Honda GC190, which is an air-cooled 4-stroke OHC engine. Honda OHC engines are known to be durable and high-quality.
- This unit is designed to make starting smoother, owing to its axial cam pump with Easy Start technology. The axial cam pump used is also maintenance-free!
- It is complete with a 2-year engine limited warranty and another 90-days commercial warranty.
- Lastly, we are impressed that the 10-inches wheels of this product are pneumatic tires, known to be tough and durable.
2. Briggs & Stratton 875EXi Series 3100 MAX PSI
Although Briggs & Stratton are more known to offer heavy-duty gas pressure washers, this 3100 psi-2.5 gpm unit proves to be a good deal too. With 7,750 CUs cleaning capacity, you can rely on this unit for your household chores.
What we love about it:
- We love the unit’s no prime and no choke engine, which comes with a ReadyStart feature. So, you can actually start the machine with minimal effort.
- A 2.5 gallon per minute flow rate is considered a good flow, thus you can get rid of dirt and stains faster.
- We love a quiet gas pressure washer, and Briggs & Stratton 875EXi Series 3100 MAX PSI is one of the few gas power washers that produce 40% less noise than the standard pressure washer machines.
- You can maneuver this power tool despite an uneven terrain, thanks to its 10-inches never-go-flat wheels.
3. WEN PW31
WEN PW31 is one of the best gas pressure washers under the medium-duty category. It has a water pressure of 3100 psi and a water flow rate of 2.5 gpm. With a total cleaning power of 7,750 CUs, this is suitable for driveway and for sidewalk cleaning.
What we love about it:
- This is easy to assemble.
- High-quality and compact design is one thing that makes this unit popular among the users.
- Storing this power tool will never be a bother since you can easily collapse the handle to fit it in even smaller spaces.
- For a mid-priced medium-duty gas pressure washer, its 208cc 4-stroke OHV engine is already a luxury. This is powerful enough to create water pressure suitable for slightly tougher jobs.
- The never-flat wheels allow you to move the unit with ease.
Heavy-duty Gas Pressure Washer Reviews
1. Simpson Cleaning MSH3125-S
Great products come from great brands. We have to agree with this statement when it comes to Simpson. The brand is well-loved worldwide and constantly ranks as one of the best gas pressure washers in the U.K. and in Canada. It has 3200 psi water pressure and 2.5 gpm flow rate.
What we love about it:
- Simpson MSH3125-S is powered by a Honda engine. Simpson is among those brands that most gas pressure washers have Honda engines.
- A quick glance and you’ll know the entire unit is made with quality: good frame and sturdy design.
- This is the perfect gas pressure washer for driveways and removing loose paint.
- You have more cleaning options since it comes with 5 quick-connect nozzle tip attachments: zero-degree, 15-degree, 25-degree, 40-degree, and soap applicator nozzle.
- Simpson MSH3125-S has a 2-year consumer limited warranty, an additional 1-year pump limited warranty. and another 5-year frame limited warranty.
- Its spray gun has an ergonomic design, giving you comfort while at work.
- It has 10-inches pneumatic tires for a very impressive wheel traction.
- Its construction frame is made of steel and is welded securely.
- This is one of the few gas pressure washer units with a non-marring and abrasion-resistant pressure washer hose.
2. Generac SpeedWash 7122
Despite having a middle-range price, Generac SpeedWash 7122 deserves to be called the best heavy-duty gas pressure washer on the list. Equipped with 3200 psi and 2.7 gpm flow rate, Generac SpeedWash 7122 has a total cleaning power of 8,640 CUs.
What we love about it:
- It can clean driveways and decks up to 4 times faster than a standard electric pressure washer. This is because it has a unique Power Broom technology.
- Plus, you can use the turbo nozzle that comes with this unit. The turbo nozzle even makes the cleaning faster by 30%.
- While other units only have the soap applicator nozzle, Generac SpeedWash 7122 is known for its Soap Blaster. This soap blaster lets you apply soap 3 times farther than the average soap nozzle tip.
- The reason why it’s a bit cheaper as compared to the other heavy-duty gas pressure washers on this list is that its engine is only 196cc. It specifically uses the Generac 196cc OHV engine. Despite having a lower cc, it can still clean surfaces thoroughly.
- It is being offered with a 3-year limited warranty.
Commercial Gas Pressure Washer Reviews
1. Simpson Cleaning PS3835
Yet another prime gas pressure washer from the Simpson brand, the Simpson Cleaning PS3835 is commercial belt-drive gas pressure washer. It is powered by a Honda engine, enabling it to blast 3800 psi at 3.5 gpm flow rate.
What we love about it:
- A commercial grade gas pressure washer also deserves a commercial series engine. Simpson Cleaning PS3835 is powered by Honda GX270 OHV engine. It’s a powerful engine with Oil Alert technology.
- This makes use of AAA industrial triplex plunger pump. This type of pump is a professional type that is highly efficient. This allows you to minimize engine load without compromising the machine’s overall performance.
- You know this gas pressure washer unit is sturdy because this has a steel, welded frame construction.
- In addition to having high water pressure, you can even increase the pressure at its nozzle tip with its PowerBoost Technology.
2. Briggs & Stratton 2100 Series 4000 MAX PSI
Briggs & Stratton 2100 Series 4000 MAX PSI is the gas pressure washer with the highest cleaning power on the list. Thanks to its high water pressure 4000 psi and 4.0 gpm flow rate.
What we love about it:
- This commercial gas pressure washer is a monster when removing aggressive stains and tough grime. This is also recommended for paint prep of your outdoor furniture.
- Issues about the pump overheating are minimized since it has a high-temperature thermal relief feature. This feature helps to protect the pump and makes it last longer.
- With a top-of-the-line 420cc Briggs & Stratton 2100 Series OHV engine, you can expect that this unit is very fuel-efficient.
- It has a 50-feet high-pressure hose to reach more areas.
FAQ About Gas Pressure Washer
1. Why Won’t My Gas Power Washer Start?
In gas pressure washers, there are 3 common reasons why a gas pressure washer won’t start. Since the gas pressure washer is made up of several parts that work together to make the engine work, you need to make a thorough check-up.
Spark Plug Problem:
Inspect the spark plug and check for signs of damage.
-cracked or broken insulator
-carbon build-up at the electrode
Ignition Coil Problem:
Make sure the machine’s ignition coil is not broken or damaged. If the coil is defective, it is impossible to start the machine.
-Check if the spark plug is working properly; sometimes the ignition has issues because of a damaged spark plug.
-If no spark plug issues are found, then test the ignition coil using an ignition coil tester.
-If found defective, immediately replace the ignition coil.
Check the carburetor for possible clogging issue. This is usually caused by leaving fuel inside for a long period of time. Over time, the leftover fuel becomes sticky, clogs the carburetor, and prevents the engine from starting.
Try cleaning the carburetor first. If the issue is not resolved, replace the entire carburetor.
2. What Is A Gas Pressure Washer Used For?
A gas pressure washer is used in different cleaning tasks, from medium- and heavy-duties to commercial purposes. This includes paint prep, driveway cleaning, and construction site clean-up. For light-duty tasks, opt for electric pressure washer instead.
3. How To Winterize Gas Pressure Washer?
To winterize gas pressure washer, just remember 4 important steps:
- Protect your gas pressure washer. Use a fuel stabilizer to help protect the gasoline from deterioration caused by dust, corrosion, and buildup. 30 days are what the gasoline needs before it goes stale. Once this happens, the stale gasoline can cause internal component damages which mean costly repairs. So, make sure to stock some fuel stabilizer to use for the entire winter season.
- Drain your machine. Any residue left in the tool for a long period of time can cause damage. Make sure to remove all traces of soap, detergent, water, and other cleaning solutions from the tank. It also helps to pump the recoil handles six more times to ensure no liquid is stored inside.
- Protect the pump. Boost your pump protection by using an electric pressure washer pump saver. A pump saver serves as an anti-freeze pressure washer lubricant that seals and protects the pump from damage.
- Store properly. Clean the machine and wipe off the dirt, dust, and grime before storing them in a safe, dry place.
4. Which Is Better: Gas Or Electric Power Washer?
There’s no better person who can answer this question but yourself. You see, choosing between electric and gas depends on your needs. If you need to use the pressure washer frequently and in slightly tougher jobs, then by all means, get a medium-duty gas pressure washer. If you just need to clean once a month, then stick to the eco-friendly electric type.
5. Can You Use A Gas Power Washer In The Rain?
The simple answer is NO. There is no way can you operate (electric or gas pressure washer units) in the rain without causing damage to its parts. Moreover, it is risky to use such a power tool when the surface to be cleaned is wet and slippery.
Get To Know Our Top Pick!
Among the 7 best gas pressure washers presented in the list, we love the Simpson Cleaning PS3835 as it offers the best value for the money.
It has unique features that you cannot find on the other units on the list such as the oil alert technology that tells you when the fuel is running low and the PowerBoost technology. It is also made up of professional parts like the AAA industrial triplex plunger pump, which is known to be very efficient, and its durable pneumatic tires with better traction.
So, which gas pressure washer is your fave? Maybe, you have a particular brand you want us to review? Let us know in the comment section below.